Thursday, November 22, 2012

Game 5: There goes the undefeated season: #4 Michigan 67 Pitt 62

And Bob Knight rejoices.  These Pitt Panthers will not be the first team since Knight's 1976 Indiana Hoosiers to finish the season undefeated.  I know he was worried about it.

I wasn't home, so I didn't get to watch the majority of this game.  I had a crappy stream running on gf's computer, but I could barely tell who was who.  Add in the fact that I couldn't hear the announcers calling out the players and I basically had no idea who was doing what.  I just knew when the ball went in the hoop, which really, if you think about it, is all basketball is.  Five nameless players trying to put the ball in the hoop.  Perhaps I should take this blog in a different direction where I just talk about the team as a whole.

Herb Brooks would be so proud.

On the other hand, though, what am I going to do with all these photoshops I made?

Pitt had a lead at halftime, and according to the 5 and 1/2 pixels going across my screen, they appeared to be playing well.  Michigan was not shooting well and Pitt was playing well defensively.

At some point in the first half, Cameron Wright ran a pick and roll with Dante Taylor.  I just threw up in my mouth a little typing that, but somehow it worked beautifully.

Cameron Wright made all three of his shots (including 2 three pointers!) and didn't turn the ball over in 9 minutes.  I know, I can't believe it either.

Steven Adams had a terrible game.  He didn't score and had 1 rebound in 10 minutes.  Pitt needs more from him if they're going to be a top 4 team in the Big East.

Lamar Patterson got back on track and was Pitt's best player all night.  He was more aggressive, had a couple and 1's, and showed some of what we saw last year.

With a little under 12 minutes left, Ziegler hit the fir
st of two free throws to give Pitt a 44-39 lead.  After that, though...

To say Pitt couldn't hit the broad side of a barn in the last ten minutes, well...


Pitt made 8-20 from three and shot 45% to Michigan's 46%.  They held the Wolverines to 3-17 from three point land.  The turnover battle was even (10 for Pitt to 9 for UM).  The game was decided by two categories.

Rebounds - Michigan won that 31-21
Free Throws - Michigan 18-22, Pitt 6-11

Pitt, and by Pitt I mean James Robinson, attempted to make a comeback by driving for quick two's and hoping for a few missed free throws.  I wish more teams would adopt this strategy instead of trying to catch up quickly with three pointers.  It's normally the better option.  However, Michigan made 10 free throws in a row down the stretch.  Robinson almost single-handedly brought Pitt back in the final minute by taking what the defense was giving him.  He scored 6 of his 8 points in those final 30 seconds.  With 5 seconds left he scored and was fouled to bring the Panthers back to within 3.  He missed the free throw (either it wasn't on purpose or Robinson is brilliant at doing that) and the rebound bounced high in the air so that Pitt had a chance at the offensive rebound.  There was a jump ball, but sadly the possession arrow gave the ball to the Wolverines.  Had it gone back to Pitt, I might be writing about another miracle comeback.  Sadly with only 2 seconds left, UM hit two more free throws and that was your final score.

Robinson finished with 8 points, 6 assists and 3 steals with only 1 turnover in 34 minutes.  Man, what a player.

Even though Pitt lost, this game proves a lot.  On a neutral site against an experienced major conference opponent ranked #4 with NBA-level talent, Pitt lost by 5.  If Adams and Robinson continue to progress as I think they will, Pitt will beat Michigan in March should they meet again.

Pitt plays the Delaware Fighting Blue Hens on Friday at 2:30.  I'll be at Heinz Field rooting for my students in the WPIAL Finals so I won't be able to watch.  Pitt will win by 20 so I'm not worried.

Happy Thanksgiving,
J.O.

1 comment :

  1. Good stuff again Jordan. I had the fortune of watching the entire game in 1080 pixels, but lol,for anybody who wants the 5 pixel experience, just go to the local Motel 6 in Crafton. Seriously, the TVs there are so bad, that you can't even make out the score of the game from just two feet away from the game. In fact, the TVs are so bad, I want to go buy some make-shift TV from Best Buy for $50 and just swap it out whenever I go there. But enough about Motel 6 TVs.

    So back to the game: Pitt is a very good team this year, and they showed it here. They just need to gel a little bit more as a team. But dam, I have never seen a Pitt team with more talent potential. If/When this teams gels, it will be a VERY solid team, and they will beat this Michigan squad come March.

    Pitt just had that really bad stretch there in the second half where they couldn't hit squat. LOL the barn with all the Pitt arrows going hay-wire around the barn. Pitt is definitely a better team for playing this game, and I wish Pitt would play them more in the off-season. Even if you lose, you are a better team for it at the end.

    ReplyDelete