Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Big East Tournament Day 1: Pitt 73 St. John's 59

Okay so I'm starting to write this post as I watch the second half of Villanova-Rutgers, but I figure by the time I'm ready to talk about that game it will be over.  The Cats are up 3 and if they win I'm 4-0 today on picks.

Day 1 Recap

UConn 81 Depaul 67
I said UConn by 15 in the previous post and they won by 14.  I apologize for not being right.  Anyway, snooze city from this game, Lamb had 25 for the Huskies and Depaul didn't do much.  They actually played UConn even in the 2nd half, but they were already down double digits by that time.

9. UConn vs 8. WVU
Although I do not like UConn, there is nothing that would upset me more than to see WVU make a BET run before they leave.  I hope UConn wins by 30.  They won't win by that much, but wvu will still go home crying.
UConn by 8

13. Pitt 73 12. St. John's 59

This game was a lot different than last week's, but the result was the same.  St. John's led most of the first half, then Pitt went on a big time run and it was never close again.  St. John's only plays 6 players so again they got tired and couldn't come up with anything in the second half.  That and they couldn't hit anything, God's Gift shot 1-10, another guy went 0-7 and D'Angelo Harrison went 4-18.  Moe Harkless was their only option and he dropped 25.

...


...

How could you be so Harkless?

Can't resist making that joke.

Grades for Pitt:

Gibbs - He hit a couple early threes then disappeared for about 10 minutes in the first half.  Some girl on twitter made a comment that Gibbs didn't have to shoot from the NBA line on some of his threes.  Then like 3 minutes later they showed a slow-motion replay, and you can see Gibbs look down at the New York Knicks line, take a step behind it and shoot.  I lol'd.  Clearly auditioning for Mike D'Antoni this weekend.  Anyway, respectable showing for Gibbs who finally won a tournament game.  Grade A-

Robinson - 15 and 8 from Robinson.  I liked the way he played today.  He also finished an alley-oop dunk which shocked everyone.  Grade A for Alley Oop

Woodall - Tray stinks right now.  1-5 shooting and 6 turnovers.  He better get his act together.  Instead of continuing to rant about Trays' decision-making, Here's a video of Pitt PG commit James Robinson Grade F

Taylor - On the bright side, I could tell you that Dante Taylor did not miss a shot from the field against St. John's this season.  The downside is that he was only 1-1 today and basically did nothing.  He was only credited with 2 turnovers, but I swear at least 5 passes bounced off his hands in the first 5 minutes alone.  And of course, St. John's scored on a fast break immediately after he scored his only bucket.  I'd love to see stats on the opposing team after Dante scores.  I bet they score like 90% of the time.  Grade D+

Patterson - I wish Patterson would shoot more.  He was 4-7 with the majority of his 9 points coming in a 2 minute stretch in the second half.  Patterson is one of those players that you don't notice how good he is by watching on TV.  Case in point, when I was talking with my dad during the game and I said that Patterson would be starting next year, he went "Patterson?  No way."  I'm like, "Dad he's good."  And right on cue he made a couple big plays.  Dad's a believer now.  Grade B+

Zanna - Zilch from Zanna this game, he missed both of his shots.  Grade C-

Moore - Moore cooled off a little this game.  The only play I remember from him was a blown layup off a great pass from Gilbert.  Grade B-

Wright - Bleh.  Grade C-

Johnson - He provided some offense, made a couple threes and had a steal and finish on the fast break.  I feel every time Johnson goes in for a layup he travels, watch next time.  So many steps.  Grade B

Gilbert - Had an offensive rebound and the aforementioned great pass underneath to JJ.  Grade C

13. Pitt vs 5. Georgetown
My recap from the regular season meeting
The telling stat from that game was Robinson shooting 9-9.  Pitt rode the Zoo to a big win over top ten Hoyas in the first meeting.  I still believe in this team, and I don't think the dream is over for them yet.
Pitt by 6.

10. Seton Hall 79 15. Providence 47
All Pirates in this one.

10. Seton Hall vs 7. Louisville
A win here would probably assure the Pirates a bid, but they won't get it.  They'll be one of the teams sweating it out Sunday night.
Louisville by 10.

And almost on cue, Villanova and Rutgers have one minute left to play.

(Patiently waits for game to finish)

14. Villanova 70 Rutgers 49
And my bracket is perfect so far.

14. Villanova vs 6. South Florida
I'm not sure if South Florida has ever won a BET game, maybe they stole a first round game somewhere.  I'm too lazy to look it up.  If they haven't won one, well they're going to get their first one tomorrow night.
USF by 7

Will my bracket stay perfect through day two?
Stay tuned,
JO

No comments :

Post a Comment